From Wikipedia, the miễn phí encyclopedia
"The Grudge (franchise)" redirects here. For the American film series adaptation, see The Grudge (film series).
Bạn đang xem: ju on
|Created by||Takashi Shimizu|
|Original work||Katasumi and 4444444444 (1998)|
|Graphic novel(s)||The Grudge 1.5|
|Films and television|
|Television series||Ju-On: Origins (2020)|
|Video game(s)||Ju-On: The Grudge (2009)|
Ju-On (呪怨, Juon, lit. "Resentment Curse", also known as The Grudge) is a Japanese horror franchise created by Takashi Shimizu. The franchise began in 1998 with the release of the short films Katasumi and 4444444444. Shimizu attended the Film School of Tokyo, where he studied under Kiyoshi Kurosawa. Kurosawa helped Shimizu shepherd the Ju-On projects vĩ đại fruition.
The Ju-On films generally revolve around a curse created in a house in Nerima, Tokyo, when Takeo Saeki, convinced that his wife, Kayako, is having an affair with another man, murders her, their son, Toshio, and Toshio's pet cát in a jealous fit of rage. According vĩ đại Ju-On, when a person dies with a deep and powerful rage, a curse is born. The curse gathers in the place where that person has died or which they frequented, and repeats itself there. The spirits of the deceased haunt the location, potentially killing anyone who encounters the curse by any means, such as entering a cursed house or being in liên hệ with somebody who was already cursed. The curse's manifestation is mainly death, where the victims' bodies may or may not disappear. The following deaths may create more curses and spread them vĩ đại other locations.
The franchise consists of thirteen films, including four American-produced films and one streaming television series, alongside various additional truyền thông and merchandise products.
A stage play adaptation is being developed, phối vĩ đại premiere in August 2023.
|1998||Katasumi and 4444444444|
|2000||Ju-On: The Curse|
|Ju-On: The Curse 2|
|2002||Ju-On: The Grudge|
|2003||Ju-On: The Grudge 2|
|2006||The Grudge 2|
|2009||The Grudge 3|
|Ju-On: Black Ghost/Ju-On: White Ghost|
|2014||Ju-On: The Beginning of the End|
|2015||Ju-On: The Final Curse|
|2016||Sadako vs. Kayako|
Shimizu stated in an interview that the inspiration for Ju-On came from his own personal fears as a child, and from a Japanese butoh dance group that would paint their nude bodies white and perform. Shimizu found the performance frightening and decided vĩ đại "paint [his] ghosts white". He also mentioned that the rise in the number of domestic abuse cases emerging in nhật bản during production of his previous films gave him ideas about the origins of the story.
The title of the Japanese films translates roughly vĩ đại "Curse of Grudge", or more abstractly, a curse created due vĩ đại an individual bearing a grudge against someone or something. The first two films in the series were so-called V-Cinema, or direct-to-video releases, but became surprise hits as the result of favorable word of mouth. Both films were shot in nine days and feature a story that is a variation on the classic haunted house theme, as well as a popular Japanese horror trope, the "vengeful ghost" (onryō). The titular curse, ju-on, is one which takes on a life of its own and seeks new victims. Anyone who encounters a ghost killed by the curse is killed themselves and the curse is able vĩ đại be spread vĩ đại other areas.
Under very tight budgetary constraints, Shimizu's films garnered much acclaim from both critics and genre fans for their effective use of limited locations and eerie atmosphere vĩ đại generate chills. Shimizu was at the same time perfectly willing vĩ đại show his ghosts onscreen, in contrast vĩ đại some directors who might choose only vĩ đại hint at their appearance. Critics noted that Shimizu's minimalist approach vĩ đại directing and storytelling—a necessary by-product of the production's limited overall resources—allows the films vĩ đại retain their ability vĩ đại unnerve viewers. Very few scenes in the movies are graphically bloody, making such scenes more disturbing when they occur.
Following the success of the two direct-to-video films, and the international success of Hideo Nakata's Ring (1998), Kurosawa and Ring screenwriter Hiroshi Takahashi helped Shimizu develop a theatrical Ju-On sequel starring Megumi Okina and Takako Fuji. The film, titled Ju-On: The Grudge, was released on October 18, 2002, vĩ đại critical acclaim, and was followed by a sequel, Ju-On: The Grudge 2, that was released on August 23, 2003.
The rights vĩ đại an American film remake of The Grudge were eventually acquired, with Shimizu himself attached vĩ đại direct and Sarah Michelle Gellar starring. The film was released in 2004 vĩ đại mixed reviews. The film's box office success would lead it vĩ đại spawn its own series of American-produced films, including 2006's The Grudge 2 and 2009's The Grudge 3. Both films follow a unique storyline, albeit The Grudge 2 still drawing inspiration from several Japanese films.
In celebration of the tenth anniversary of the franchise, two new sequels, Ju-On: White Ghost and Ju-On: Black Ghost were screen simultaneously in Japanese theaters in 2009. The stories of two films deviate from that of the cursed Saeki family, focusing on two unrelated, but also, ill-fated families.
Xem thêm: toà tháp bí ẩn
For the fifteenth anniversary of the Ju-On franchise, a reboot was released in năm trước, titled Ju-On: The Beginning of the End. Drawing inspiration from The Grudge 2, The Beginning of the End features a new backstory regarding the curse, while still featuring the Saeki family as an integral part of the plot. The film was followed by a năm ngoái sequel, Ju-On: The Final Curse, which was promoted as the final film in the series. Both films had no significant input from series creator Shimizu.
A crossover with the Ring franchise, Sadako vs. Kayako, was released on June 18, năm nhâm thìn.
Another installment of the American film series was released on January 3, 2020, vĩ đại generally negative reviews.
Grudge director, Nicolas Pesce, expressed interest in a crossover between the American Grudge and Ring film series, just as was done with 2016's Sadako vs. Kayako. Prior vĩ đại his film's release, Pesce expressed further interest in a sequel being phối in both a different part of the world phàn nàn America or nhật bản, and in a different "less contemporary" time period compared vĩ đại previous films.
A TV series adaptation, titled Ju-On: Origins, was released exclusively on Netflix worldwide on July 3, 2020.
- Katasumi and 4444444444 (1998; short films shown within television film Gakkō no kaidan G)
- V-Cinema - Direct-to-Video
- Ju-On: The Curse (2000)
- Ju-On: The Curse 2 (2000)
- Theatrical films
- Ju-On: The Grudge (2002)
- Ju-On: The Grudge 2 (2003)
- Ju-On: Black Ghost/Ju-On: White Ghost (2009) (10th Anniversary Films)
- Ju-On: The Beginning of the End (2014)
- Ju-On: The Final Curse (2015)
- Sadako vs. Kayako (2016; crossover with the Ring series)
- The Grudge (2004)
- The Grudge 2 (2006)
- Tales from the Grudge - Three short films (Hotel, School, House) that were released as part of marketing for the film.
- The Grudge 3 (2009)
- The Grudge (2020)
Ju-On: Origins is a streaming television series. The series premiered on Netflix on July 3, 2020 with a total of 6 episodes.
A stage play adaptation of Ju-On was developed in 2023. It adapts the plots from Ju-On: The Curse and its sequel.
Several Ju-On print publications were published by Kadokawa in nhật bản, and Dark Horse Comics in North America between 2003 and năm ngoái. Every single Ju-On film has received a novel adaptation, except for The Grudge 3.
In 2003, novelizations of stories from the series were written by Kei Ohishi. The first novel, Ju-on, elaborates on events and characters from Ju-On: The Curse, The Curse 2 and Ju-On: The Grudge. A novel titled Ju-On 2 was released the same year, which elaborates on the events from Ju-On: The Grudge 2. Novelizations of Ju-On: White Ghost and Black Ghost were published in 2009. Ju-On 2, White Ghost and Black Ghost did not receive English translations. In năm trước, a novelization of The Beginning of the End was released and a novelization of The Final Curse was released in năm ngoái.
Official Japanese-language novelizations of the American films were also written by Kei Ohishi, the first being a novelization of The Grudge (released in nhật bản as The Juon), which was published in 2005 and generally follows the premise of the film faithfully. A novelization of its sequel, The Grudge 2 (released in nhật bản as Ju-On: Pandemic), was published later on in 2007. The novels were all published by Kadokawa Shoten and only the 2003 novel received an English translation.
In honor of the series' 10th anniversary, a game, titled Ju-On: The Grudge – Haunted House Simulator was developed for the Wii. The game was released in nhật bản in 2009 by AQ Interactive under the title Kyoufu Taikan: Ju-On (Fear Experience: Ju-On), and in Europe under the title Ju-On: A Fright Simulator. Upon release, the game was critically panned.
Xseed Games described it as a "haunted house simulator", rather phàn nàn a traditional survival horror game. The game does not feature any combat, as its format relies on subtle exploration and scare tactics. Joystiq reviewers who were present for the demo's screening at the E3 justified this, observing that "in most horror games, a skilled player can actually defeat the creatures (with notable exceptions lượt thích Silent Hill 2's Pyramid Head ...), making the game more of a power fantasy phàn nàn a true fright. In both of these games [Silent Hill 2 and Ju-On: The Grudge], you can escape the creatures at best".
Box office performance
|Film||Release date||Box office gross|
|Japan||United States and Canada||Other territories|
|Ju-on: The Grudge||18 October 2002||¥500,000,000||$325,680||$9,306,043[a]|
|Ju-on: The Grudge 2||23 August 2003||¥1,100,000,000||$511,350||$4,375,425[b]|
|Ju-On: The Beginning of the End||28 June 2014||¥570,000,000||—||$4,082,954|
|Ju-On: The Final Curse||20 June 2015||¥419,000,000||—||$1,724,642[c]|
|Sadako vs. Kayako||18 June 2016||¥1,000,000,000||—||$884,250[d]|
|Regional total||¥3,170,000,000 ($38,475,815)||$837,031||$20,373,314|
|Film||Release date||Box office gross||Budget||Reference|
|The Grudge (2004)||October 22, 2004||$110,359,362||$76,921,753||$187,281,115||$10 million|||
|The Grudge 2||October 13, 2006||$39,143,839||$31,567,336||$70,711,175||$20 million|||
|The Grudge 3||May 12, 2009||—||$1,869,127||$1,869,127||$5 million|||
|The Grudge (2020)||January 3, 2020||$21,221,803||$28,289,516||$49,511,319||$10 million|||
Critical and audience reception
|Ju-On: The Curse||64% (14 reviews)||—||—||—|
|Ju-On: The Grudge||80% (5 reviews)||48 (22 reviews)||—||—|
|Ju-On: The Grudge 2||56% (71 reviews)||—||—||—|
|The Grudge (2004)||40% (162 reviews)||49 (32 reviews)||—||—|
|The Grudge 2||12% (77 reviews)||33 (16 reviews)||—||—|
|The Grudge (2020)||20% (129 reviews)||41 (28 reviews)||F||0.5|
|Ju-On: Origins||85% (13 reviews)||58 (5 reviews)||—||—|
- ^ Ju-on (2002) overseas box office:
- South Korea – 1,016,928 admissions in 2003 – ₩7,118,496,000 ($5,973,847)
- Other territories – $3,332,196
- ^ Ju-on 2 (2002) overseas box office:
- South Korea – 440,000 admissions in 2003 – ₩3.08 billion ($2,584,738)
- Other territories – $1,790,687
- ^ The Final Curse (2002) overseas box office:
- South Korea – ₩462,659,400 ($409,014)
- Other territories – $1,315,628
- ^ Sadako vs. Kayako (2016) overseas box office:
- South Korea – ₩202,716,000 ($177,207)
- Other territories – $704,922
- ^ Takashi Shimizu's Ju-on
- ^ Ju-on (呪怨) series
- ^ https://juonthelive.com/
- ^ a b "Ju-On: The Interview". NeoMag. 2013. Archived from the original on November 9, 2013. Retrieved August 9, 2013.
- ^ "The Grudge – An Interview with Sam Rami and Rob Tappert". Dvdtalk.com. Retrieved September 29, 2015.
- ^ Box Office Mojo (October đôi mươi, 2006). "Grudge opens on 3,348 theatres". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved October đôi mươi, 2006.
- ^ "Takashi Shimizu Interview on Grudge 2 and the Ju-On Movies". Movies.about.com. Archived from the original on September 23, 2015. Retrieved September 29, 2015.
- ^ "Takashi Shimizu Interview". Archived from the original on September 23, 2015. Retrieved September 16, 2015.
- ^ 呪怨 -ザ・ファイナル- "We have decided vĩ đại produce the latest work of "Kurinen" series. The title is "Curricity -The Final-"! That's right, the world-famous Curse series that started in 1999, finally the final chapter! ! Released on June 20th, starring Airi Taira. Please stay tuned!"
- ^ "Horror Hit 'The Grudge' Going Reboot Route". deadline.com. March đôi mươi, 2014. Retrieved March 21, 2014.
- ^ "New Film 'The Grudge' Takes Place at Same Time as the 2004 Version [Exclusive]". September đôi mươi, 2019.
- ^ "Further 'The Grudge' Sequels Could Explore Other Time Periods [Exclusive]". December 31, 2019.
- ^ "Netflix's JU-ON: Origins Live-Action Horror Series Debuts Worldwide on July 3". Anime News Network. May 11, 2020. Retrieved May 11, 2020.
- ^ "Film Review: JUON director interview". Archived from the original on September 1, 2005. Retrieved January 5, 2006.
- ^ "The Grudge 2 (2006): News". www.countingdown.com. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved January 12, 2022.
- ^ "Everything We Know About Ju-On: Origins". Screen Rant. June 1, 2020. Retrieved June 6, 2020.
- ^ "Ju-On: Origins - Official Trailer - Netflix". YouTube (in Japanese). May 11, 2020. Archived from the original on December 12, 2021. Retrieved June 6, 2020.
- ^ https://juonthelive.com/
- ^ 呪怨<2>
- ^ THE GRUDGE novel
- ^ Fletcher, JC (June 7, 2009). "Impressions: Ju-on: The Grudge (Wii)". Joystiq. Retrieved June 17, 2009.
- ^ "2003年度 日本映画・外国映画 業界総決算 経営/製作/配給/興行のすべて". Kinema Junpo. Kinema Junposha (2004年（平成16年）2月下旬号): 160. 2004.
- ^ Ju-on: The Grudge at Box Office Mojo Retrieved 8 September 2013
- ^ "영화정보". KOFIC. Korean Film Council. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- ^ a b "Screen Industry Snapshot Korea". Austrade. Government of nước Australia. September 26, 2017. p. 49. Archived from the original on February 12, 2019. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- ^ a b "Official exchange rate (LCU per US$, period average)". World Bank. 2003. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- ^ "Ju-On: The Grudge (2004) - International Box Office Results". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved September 8, 2013.
- ^ "2003年（平成15年）興収10億円以上番組" (PDF). Eiren. Motion Picture Producers Association of Japan. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- ^ a b "Ju-on: The Grudge 2". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- ^ a b "영화정보". KOFIC. Korean Film Council. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- ^ "2015年3月下旬 映画業界決算特別号". Kinema Junpo: 102. năm ngoái.
- ^ "Ju-on: Owari no hajimari". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- ^ "2016年3月下旬 映画業界決算特別号". Kinema Junpo: 84. năm nhâm thìn.
- ^ "영화정보". KOFIC. Korean Film Council. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
Juon The Final
- ^ "Ju-on: The Final Curse". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- ^ "2016". Eiren. Motion Picture Producers Association of Japan. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- ^ "Sadako vs. Kayako". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- ^ "The Grudge (2004)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved April 14, 2018.
- ^ "The Grudge 2". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved April 14, 2018.
- ^ "The Grudge 3". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved April 23, 2020.
- ^ "The Grudge". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved December 10, 2020.
- ^ "The Grudge (2020)". The Numbers. Retrieved March 8, 2020.
- ^ "Ju-on: The Curse - Rotten Tomatoes". www.rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved July 7, 2023.
- ^ a b "Ju-on: The Grudge - Rotten Tomatoes". www.rottentomatoes.com. July 23, 2004. Retrieved July 7, 2023.
- ^ "Ju-on: The Grudge 2 - Rotten Tomatoes". www.rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved July 7, 2023.
- ^ "The Grudge - Rotten Tomatoes". www.rottentomatoes.com. October 22, 2004. Retrieved July 7, 2023.
- ^ The Grudge, retrieved July 7, 2023
- ^ "The Grudge 2 - Rotten Tomatoes". www.rottentomatoes.com. October 13, 2006. Retrieved July 7, 2023.
- ^ The Grudge 2, retrieved July 7, 2023
- ^ "The Grudge - Rotten Tomatoes". www.rottentomatoes.com. January 3, 2020. Retrieved July 7, 2023.
- ^ The Grudge, retrieved July 7, 2023
- ^ "Is an "F" from CinemaScore actually a good thing? Our critics weigh in". The A.V. Club. April 3, 2020. Retrieved July 7, 2023.
- ^ D'Alessandro, Anthony (January 5, 2020). "'Star Wars: Rise Of Skywalker' Dips To $34M Third Weekend; 'Grudge' Doesn't Scream With $11M+ & 'F' CinemaScore". Deadline. Retrieved July 7, 2023.
- ^ "JU-ON: Origins - Rotten Tomatoes". www.rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved July 7, 2023.
- ^ JU-ON: Origins, retrieved July 7, 2023
- Official website
- Ju-on at IMDb
- Ju-on 2 at IMDb
- Ju-on: The Grudge at IMDb
- Ju-on: The Grudge 2 at IMDb
- Ju-on: White Ghost at IMDb
- Ju-on: Black Ghost at IMDb
- Ju-on: The Beginning of the End at IMDb