This article is about the 2022 film. For the unrelated 1998 science fiction novel by Jack McDevitt, see Moonfall (novel).
Theatrical release poster
Bạn đang xem: moonfall
|Directed by||Roland Emmerich|
|Box office||$67.3 million|
Moonfall is a 2022 science fiction disaster film co-written, directed, and produced by Roland Emmerich. It stars Halle Berry, Patrick Wilson, John Bradley, Michael Peña, Charlie Plummer, Kelly Yu, Carolina Bartczak and Donald Sutherland. It follows two former astronauts alongside a conspiracy theorist who discover the hidden truth about the Moon when it suddenly leaves its orbit. Shot in Montreal on a $138–146 million budget, it is one of the most expensive independently produced films ever made.
The film was theatrically released in North America on February 4, 2022, by Lionsgate and Summit Entertainment, and in the United Kingdom on the same day by Entertainment Film Distributors. It was a box-office bomb, grossing $67 million worldwide, and received mixed reviews from critics.
In 2011, astronauts Brian Harper, Jocinda "Jo" Fowler, and newcomer Alan Marcus are on a Space Shuttle mission to tát repair a satellite. A mysterious swarm of alien technology attacks the orbiter, killing Alan and knocking Jo unconscious before tunneling into the surface of the Moon. Brian, the only witness to tát the swarm, returns the crippled shuttle to tát Earth, but his story is dismissed and he is fired from NASA.
Ten years later, conspiracy theorist K.C. Houseman, who believes that the Moon is an artificial megastructure, secretly uses a research telescope. He discovers that the Moon's orbit is veering closer to tát Earth, and tries to tát share his findings with the disgraced Brian. NASA also discovers the anomaly, but K.C. goes public on social truyền thông, leading to tát a global panic. Jo is now NASA's deputy director, launching a spacecraft on an SLS Block 1 rocket to tát investigate the abnormality. The same alien swarm attacks, killing all three lunar astronauts after they drop a probe into a kilometers-deep artificial shaft that has opened up on the Moon's surface.
As the lunar orbit deteriorates, the Moon falls closer and closer to tát the Earth, causing seismic and gravitational disturbances. Jo meets former NASA official Holdenfield, who reveals that Brian was discredited due to tát a NASA coverup dating back to tát Apollo 11; during the first Moon landing, a two-minute radio blackout was meant to tát conceal evidence of pulsating lights on the surface. Apollo 12 revealed that the Moon is hollow, and a military EMP device created to tát kill the swarm was abandoned for budgetary reasons.
With help from her ex-husband General Doug Davidson, Air Force Chief of Staff, Jo requisitions the EMP and rescues retired Space Shuttle Endeavour from a museum to tát serve the new mission: to tát correct the Moon's orbit and destroy the swarm. Brian, K.C., and Jo launch with the EMP, narrowly escaping to tát orbit as a tsunami destroys Vandenberg Air Force Base.
They reach the interior of the Moon, revealed to tát be a Dyson sphere powered by a white dwarf at its center. The Dyson sphere's AI operating system explains to tát Brian that billions of years ago, humanity's technologically advanced ancestors were eradicated by a rogue AI; they built the Moon as an Interstellar ark to tát create and seed life on Earth, but the swarm — the malicious AI — discovered the Moon and is siphoning energy from its power source, destabilizing its orbit.
Meanwhile, Brian's son Sonny, Jo's son Jimmy, and his caretaker Michelle try to tát reach Doug's military bunker in the Colorado mountains, finding Brian's ex-wife and Sonny's mother Brenda, her husband Tom, and their step-family. Escaping disasters caused by the Moon's proximity and fighting off other survivors, the group finds safety in a mountain tunnel. When his youngest daughter runs out of oxygen, an injured Tom gives her his own, suffocating to tát death as the Moon strips away the local atmosphere. The president orders a nuclear strike on the approaching Moon, but Doug refuses to tát comply, with debris collapsing the bunker shortly thereafter, presumably killing Doug and everyone inside.
As the swarm only attacks organic life in the presence of electronic activity, K.C. lures the swarm away from their spacecraft with their lunar module, sacrificing himself to tát detonate the EMP. Jo and Brian return to tát Earth, reuniting with their families, and the Moon's power is restored, returning to tát its regular orbit, but now shed of its rocky exterior. Reconstructing K.C.'s consciousness, the Moon's operating system appears to tát him as his cát, Fuzz Aldrin, and his mother, remarking that they must now "get started".
Xem thêm: asuka saito
- Halle Berry as Jocinda Fowler, a former NASA astronaut now serving as deputy director of NASA and Brian Harper's colleague who once flew together on a Space Shuttle Endeavour mission
- Patrick Wilson as Brian Harper, a disgraced former NASA astronaut and Jo's colleague who flew on a Space Shuttle Endeavour mission.
- John Bradley as K.C. Houseman, an amateur researcher, who finds out about the Moon being artificial and also discovers the incoming Moon impact towards Earth following his tương tác with an official from an observatory in Chile.
- Michael Peña as Tom Lopez, Brenda's husband.
- Charlie Plummer as Sonny Harper, Brian and Brenda's estranged son who was arrested for speeding. Plummer and Dalman additionally portray the manifestation of the Moon's alien operating system as it appears to tát Brian Harper.
- Azriel Dalman as young Sonny
- Kelly Yu as Michelle, a Chinese foreign exchange student who is also the nanny to tát Jocinda's son Jimmy.
- Donald Sutherland as Holdenfield, a former NASA official who found out about the dark side of the Moon mystery that occurred during Apollo 11 mission and was ordered to tát keep it under wraps. After a conversation with Fowler, he presumably commits suicide offscreen.
- Carolina Bartczak as Brenda Lopez, Brian's ex-wife and Sonny's mother, who currently lives with her new husband Tom.
- Eme Ikwuakor as Doug Davidson, a United States Air Force Four-Star General who served as Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force and deputy director, as well as Jocinda's ex-husband.
- Maxim Roy as Sgt. Gabriella Auclair, a military captain who leads the task-force mission to tát rescue Brian and Houseman.
- Frank Schorpion as General Jenkins, a United States Air Force Four-Star General who served as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and was tasked by the President of the United States to tát launch a nuclear strike at the Moon.
- Stephen Bogaert as NASA Director Albert Hutchings, who turns over his position to tát Jo at the last minute before the Moon's impact.
- Andreas Apergis as Colonel Reed, a soldier tasked to tát deliver an EMP that was to tát be detonated on the Moon.
- Kathleen Fee as Elaine Houseman, K.C.'s mother who lives at a nursing trang chủ and suffers from Alzheimer's disease.
Additionally, Zayn Maloney portrays Jocinda's and Doug's son 10-year old Jimmy, while Ava Weiss and Hazel Nugent portray Brenda's and Tom's 9-year old and 12-year old daughters, Nikki Lopez and Lauren Lopez, respectively.
In May 2019, Roland Emmerich was announced to tát be writing and directing the film. With a $138–146 million budget (including $40 million from Huayi Brothers, $15 million from Lionsgate Films, and $15 million from Germany), it is one of the most expensive independent films ever produced. Emmerich said the project had previously been bought by Universal Pictures, and once he got the rights back, Emmerich and partner Harald Kloser went to tát the Cannes Film Festival to tát get financial backers, with the independent nature helping Emmerich get creative control and a 50% share of the film. The idea came after reading Christopher Knight and Alan Butler's book Who Built the Moon?, which discussed the hollow moon hypothesis, a conspiracy theory about the Moon being an artificial construction, and the script was worked on for four years. In November 2019, Lionsgate and Summit Entertainment acquired the North American distribution rights, and AGC International acquired the international distribution rights.
In May 2020, Josh Gad and Halle Berry were cast, with Patrick Wilson and Charlie Plummer added in June. In October, Stanley Tucci, John Bradley, Donald Sutherland and Eme Ikwuakor were added to tát the cast, with Bradley replacing Gad due to tát scheduling conflicts.
Filming began in Montreal in October 2020, after previously being planned for a spring start, and lasted for a total of 61 days. Michael Peña, Carolina Bartczak, Maxim Roy and Stephen Bogaert were added in January 2021, with Peña replacing Tucci in his role due to tát COVID-19 travel restrictions preventing Tucci from traveling to tát the production. Due to tát the COVID-19 pandemic, the film had to tát tốc độ up its principal photography with an additional $5.6 million spent. Among the pandemic's restrictions were a lack of location shooting, forcing the construction of 135 different sets, built primarily on six stages on Grandé Studios. A museum in Florida contributed an original Space Shuttle cockpit, and NASA provided various data regarding the spacecraft.
1,700 visual effects shots were done for Moonfall, primarily handled by four companies, Scanline VFX, Pixomondo, DNEG and Framestore. Scanline was involved as early as a teaser done during the production of Midway for the Cannes pitch, a shot of the Moon coming up behind the Earth that ended up in the finished film.
For the recording of the score, composer Thomas Wander returned to tát Synchron Stage Vienna in the autumn of 2021, where Midway's soundtrack had previously been recorded.
The soundtrack album, containing a total of 23 pieces of music, was released as a tải về by Atlantic Screen Music/Filmtrax on February 4, 2022.
The film held a premiere in Los Angeles on January 31, 2022. It was released theatrically in the United States on February 4, 2022. It was previously scheduled to tát be released on October 22, 2021. Despite having been advertised in 2021, the film's theatrical release in Canada was canceled because the local distributor, Mongrel Media, found it too risky to tát go forward with the release and spend the amount of money required on advertising when it was uncertain whether theaters in Ontario and Quebec, which trương mục for a majority of film sales in the country and were shut down due to tát the pandemic, would be open in time. The film was released in Đài Loan Trung Quốc on March 25, 2022.
Lionsgate spent approximately $35 million in promotions and advertisements, including $12.2 million on TV ads. Social truyền thông monitor RelishMix said online reactions were "mixed to tát negative" while "awareness stats" were below average. The film had a social truyền thông reach of 88.9 million interactions (including 51.1 million views on YouTube) from 31 videos shared online, which featured brand đơn hàng with Omega SA and Lexus. RelishMix also said "traction ran thin" and that online audiences "questioned the use of the Space Shuttle which has been out of commission since 2011 and chatted about rumors that the movie was heading straight to tát Netflix", while Emmerich was drawing backlash "for 'hating the earth'".
The film was released for VOD platforms on April 1, 2022, followed by a Blu-ray, DVD, and 4K UHD release on April 26, 2022, by Lionsgate trang chủ Entertainment.
Moonfall grossed $19.1 million in the United States and Canada, and $48.2 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $67.3 million.
In the United States, Moonfall was released alongside Jackass Forever, and was projected to tát gross $8–11 million from 3,446 theaters in its opening weekend, with Boxoffice Pro predicting a $9–14 million three-day debut. The film earned $3.4 million on its first day, including an estimated $700,000 from Thursday night previews. Around 300 theaters were closed on Thursday due to tát a winter storm impacting most of the Midwestern United States. It went on to tát gross $9.9 million in its opening weekend, finishing second. The film suffered a 70% decline in its second weekend after earning $2.9 million. Moonfall dropped out of the box-office top ten in its third weekend with $1.1 million.
Outside the U.S. and Canada, the film grossed an estimated $9.37 million overseas in its opening weekend. It made $9.7 million in its first weekend in Đài Loan Trung Quốc, debuting at the first position by displacing The Batman. The film released in the country when a new wave of the COVID-19 pandemic forced more than thở half of theaters to tát close. It retained its position during the following weekend with a gross of $3.2 million. In the third weekend it fell to tát the fourth place while grossing $900,000.
Xem thêm: phim sec me
On the review aggregator trang web Rotten Tomatoes, 35% of 215 critics' reviews are positive, with an average rating of 4.40/10. The website's consensus reads: "Whether Moonfall is sánh bad it's good or simply bad will depend on your tolerance for B-movie cheese – but either way, this is an Emmerich disaster thriller through and through." Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned the film a score of 41 out of 100, based on 45 critics, indicating "mixed or average" reviews. Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "C+" on an A+ to tát F scale, while those at PostTrak gave it a 66% positive score, with 49% saying they would definitely recommend it.
While appearing on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert on October 2nd, 2023, Neil deGrasse Tyson conveyed to tát Stephen Colbert that by far Moonfall was a movie which violated more laws of physics per minute than thở any other science fiction movie he's ever seen. Even more than thở the 1998 movie Armageddon which he felt had taken that spot up until Moonfall.
In January 2022, Emmerich spoke about the possibility of filming two sequels back-to-back if the first film was a success. The following month, star John Bradley said that "if Roland goes down the direction that he wants to", the sequels would be "even more batshit crazy than thở the first".
- ^ "Moonfall (12A)". British Board of Film Classification. Archived from the original on February 1, 2022. Retrieved January 31, 2022.
- ^ "Moonfall". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved March 24, 2022.
- ^ a b "Moonfall". The Numbers. Nash Information Services, LLC. Retrieved April đôi mươi, 2022.
- ^ Wiseman, Andreas (May 7, 2019). "Cannes Biggie: Roland Emmerich, AGC Studios & CAA Media Finance Launch $150M Sci-Fi Moonfall". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on May 7, 2019. Retrieved December 11, 2020.
- ^ a b c d D'Alessandro, Anthony (February 6, 2022). "How Jackass Forever Thrived In The TikTok Era With A $23M+ Opening & Moonfall Fell Out Of Orbit At The Weekend Box Office – Sunday Postmortem". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on February 18, 2022. Retrieved February 6, 2022.
- ^ McClintock, Pamela (February 4, 2022). "Box Office: Jackass Forever Laughs Hard With $1.7M in Previews". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on February 5, 2022. Retrieved February 5, 2022.
- ^ Wiseman, Andreas (February 16, 2021). "Roland Emmerich On Making $140M Sci-Fi Moonfall Amid The Pandemic: 'It Was A Miracle This Movie Happened At All'". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on March 4, 2021. Retrieved January đôi mươi, 2022.
- ^ a b "Roland Emmerich, Master of Disaster, Returns to tát Big-Screen Cataclysms With Moonfall". The Hollywood Reporter. January 27, 2022. Archived from the original on December 31, 2022. Retrieved February 4, 2022.
- ^ a b CAPTURING A COLOSSAL CLOSE ENCOUNTER OF THE LUNAR KIND IN MOONFALL Archived February 4, 2022, at the Wayback Machine - VFX Voice Magazine
- ^ N'Duka, Amanda (November 26, 2019). "Lionsgate Picks Up Moonfall Sci-Fi From Midway Helmer Roland Emmerich". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on November 27, 2019. Retrieved December 11, 2020.
- ^ Kit, Borys (May 12, 2020). "Josh Gad to tát Star in Roland Emmerich's Disaster Thriller Moonfall". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on May 27, 2021. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- ^ Kit, Borys (May 19, 2020). "Halle Berry to tát Star in Roland Emmerich's Sci-Fi Movie Moonfall (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on June 22, 2021. Retrieved May 19, 2020.
- ^ Kit, Borys (June 12, 2020). "Patrick Wilson to tát Star in Roland Emmerich's Sci-Fi Thriller Moonfall (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on September 4, 2021. Retrieved December 11, 2020.
- ^ N'Duka, Amanda (October 13, 2020). "Stanley Tucci & Game of Thrones Alum John Bradley Join Roland Emmerich's Moonfall Space Epic For Lionsgate". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on October 15, 2020. Retrieved December 11, 2020.
- ^ N'Duka, Amanda (May 19, 2020). "Halle Berry Joins Roland Emmerich's Moonfall Sci-Fi At Lionsgate". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on May 26, 2020. Retrieved May đôi mươi, 2020.
- ^ Wiseman, Andreas (January 16, 2020). "Roland Emmerich's Sci-Fi Moonfall Gets Đài Loan Trung Quốc Distribution & Funding From Huayi, Production Lined Up For Spring". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on April 15, 2021. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- ^ Wiseman, Andreas (October 26, 2020). "Moonfall: Donald Sutherland, Eme Ikwuakor & Financier SPG3 Join $100M+ Roland Emmerich Sci-Fi Movie, Shoot Underway In Montreal". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on October 29, 2020. Retrieved December 11, 2020.
- ^ a b Jirak, Jamie (January 17, 2022). "Moonfall Director Roland Emmerich Opens Up About Casting and Working During the Pandemic". Comicbook.com. Archived from the original on January 17, 2022. Retrieved January 17, 2022.
- ^ N'Duka, Amanda (January 12, 2021). "Michael Peña Replaces Stanley Tucci In Roland Emmerich's Moonfall, Carolina Bartczak, Maxim Roy & Stephen Bogaert Also Join Lionsgate Sci-Fi Epic". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on February 17, 2021. Retrieved January 3, 2022.
- ^ "How Visual Effects Pros Created Catastrophic Events in 'Moonfall'". Archived from the original on February 4, 2022. Retrieved February 4, 2022.
- ^ Kobler, Florian; wien.ORF.at (September 28, 2021). ""Moonfall": Blockbuster-Filmmusik aus Wien". wien.ORF.at (in German). Archived from the original on February 7, 2023. Retrieved February 7, 2023.
- ^ Stewart, Philipp (November 5, 2021). ""Moonfall"-Filmmusik: Hollywood zu Gast in Liesing". Kronen Zeitung (in German). Archived from the original on January 28, 2023. Retrieved February 7, 2023.
- ^ "'Moonfall' Soundtrack Album Details | Film Music Reporter". Archived from the original on February 7, 2023. Retrieved February 7, 2023.
- ^ "Stars Attend The World Premiere Of Lionsgate's Moonfall". BeautifulBallad. February 1, 2022. Archived from the original on February 5, 2022. Retrieved February 4, 2022.
- ^ Hipes, Patrick (May 26, 2021). "Roland Emmerich's Moonfall Finally Lands A Release Date". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on May 31, 2022. Retrieved May 26, 2021.
- ^ Hertz, Barry (February 2, 2022). "Inside the mystery of the missing Moonfall, the biggest movie to tát ever bypass Canadian audiences". The Globe and Mail. Archived from the original on February 3, 2022. Retrieved February 3, 2022.
- ^ Tartaglione, Nancy (March 8, 2022). "Roland Emmerich's Moonfall Set For Đài Loan Trung Quốc Landing This Month". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on March 9, 2022. Retrieved March 9, 2022.
- ^ "Moonfall DVD Release Date". www.dvdsreleasedates.com. Archived from the original on November 23, 2022. Retrieved November 23, 2022.
- ^ D'Alessandro, Anthony (February 1, 2022). "Jackass Forever To Punk Disaster Pic Moonfall As Winter Box Office Tries To Thaw Out – Weekend Preview". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on February 17, 2022. Retrieved February 1, 2022.
- ^ Robbins, Shawn (February 2, 2022). "Weekend Box Office Forecast: Jackass Forever and Moonfall Aim to tát Kickstart a February Turnaround for Exhibition". Boxoffice Pro. Archived from the original on February 18, 2022. Retrieved February 4, 2022.
- ^ "Domestic Box Office For Feb 4, 2022". Box Office Mojo. Archived from the original on February 9, 2022. Retrieved February 8, 2022.
- ^ "Domestic 2022 Weekend 5". Box Office Mojo. Archived from the original on February 7, 2022. Retrieved February 8, 2022.
- ^ "Domestic 2022 Weekend 6". Box Office Mojo. Archived from the original on February 18, 2022. Retrieved February 15, 2022.
- ^ "Domestic 2022 Weekend 7". Box Office Mojo. Archived from the original on February 21, 2022. Retrieved February 23, 2022.
- ^ Tartaglione, Nancy (February 6, 2022). "Chinese New Year Movies Miss Market Record; Spider-Man Wings To $1.77B Global & Sing 2 Nears $300M WW – International Box Office". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on February 22, 2022. Retrieved February 7, 2022.
- ^ Tartaglione, Nancy (March 29, 2022). "RRR Roars With $60M+ WW Debut; The Batman Rises To $673M Global; Lost City Finds Strong Early Start – International Box Office Update". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on March 29, 2022. Retrieved March 29, 2022.
- ^ Rui, Zhang (March 27, 2022). "Sci-fi disaster film Moonfall hits Đài Loan Trung Quốc amid pandemic". China Internet Information Center. Archived from the original on March 29, 2022. Retrieved April 11, 2022.
- ^ Frater, Patrick (April 3, 2022). "China Box Office Crumbles as Coronavirus Lockdowns Bite". Variety. Archived from the original on April 4, 2022. Retrieved April 5, 2022.
- ^ Frater, Patrick (April 10, 2022). "China Box Office: Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore Wins on COVID-Stricken Weekend". Variety. Archived from the original on April 11, 2022. Retrieved April 11, 2022.
- ^ "Moonfall". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved December 2, 2022.
- ^ "Moonfall". Metacritic. Fandom, Inc. Retrieved April 17, 2022.
- ^ "What James Cameron Got Wrong in "Titanic" - Neil deGrasse Tyson". YouTube. Retrieved October 14, 2023.
- ^ Hibberd, James (February 5, 2022). "Moonfall Actor John Bradley Explains That Wild Ending". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on February 23, 2022. Retrieved February 5, 2022.
- Official website
- Moonfall at IMDb
- Moonfall at AllMovie
- Moonfall at Box Office Mojo
- Moonfall at Rotten Tomatoes